To launch your Liveedit website under your own domain name, please complete the following two steps:
- Step 1) Update DNS records with your Domain Provider
- Step 2) Add the domain to your liveedit website
Please Note: If you do not own your own domain name yet, please purhcase one from a domain name provider such as Google Domains, GoDaddy, or NameCheap.
Step 1) Update DNS records with your Domain Provider
Contact your domain provider's support and request that they make the following DNS record changes:
- Set an A Record for your root domain that points to liveedit's IP address of 184.108.40.206
- The root domain is commonly indicated with the @ symbol in the Name/Host/Alias field.
- If an A Record for your root domain already exists, please update the IP instead of creating a new one.
- Set a CNAME Record for your www subdomain that points back to your root domain.
- The www subdomain is commonly indicated with just www in the Name/Host/Alias field.
- In most domain providers, you can add @ to the Data/Value field to indicate your root domain but some, such as Google Domains, will require you to write out your full root domain.
Below is an example of both a set A and CNAME record in a DNS settings table. Please note that the name of the rows may vary depending on your domain provider.
- Make sure your A Records is only pointed to our IP addresses. Having multiple A Records will prevent your website from appearing live.
- Do not forward your domain to your .liveeditaurora.com URL.
- It can take upwards of 24-48 hours for DNS changes to propagate and go into effect.
Step 2) Add the domain to your liveedit website
- Log into your Liveedit website then click on the Account Settings tab located within the liveedit toolbar.
- Click on the Domains tab.
- Under the Add A Domain section, type in your root domain then click Connect.
- Click on the Star () icon next to your root domain so it appears filled in (). This will set the domain as your primary domain.
- Under the Add A Domain section, type in your www subdomain then click Connect.
- Click on the small Edit icon () to the right of the www subdomain and then type in your root domain into the Redirect To field then click Update. This will redirect your www subdomain to your root domain and ensures search engines only index your website under your primary domain.
If you see a checkmark under the DNS column of your domain, it indicates your domain is successfully connected to your website. If you see a question mark, it indicates the A Record of your domain is not pointed over yet.
Why do I still see my liveedit URL?
Your website includes a built-in liveedit URL (example.liveeditaurora.com) that is used by our team to identify your account. When visitors access your website from your connect domain, they will not see your liveedit URL.
Can I still edit my website after going live?
Absolutely! Once your website is live under your domain, you can continue to log in and edit at any time.